During pregnancy your body undergoes probably the biggest physical change you will ever encounter in a relatively short period of time.
Postural changes due to your increasing size are obvious, but other more subtle changes like the release of the hormone Relaxin (which causes the joints and ligaments throughout the body to soften) and the position of the growing baby can cause pain and discomfort.
In order for the body to be able to cope and adapt to all these changes it has to be able to find new positions in which to be comfortable…especially when trying to get to sleep.
Some of the common complaints we treat during pregnancy are:
- Low back pain
- Hip & pelvis pain
- Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- Rib, upper back and shoulder pain
At Knights Osteopathy, we aim to help the body cope with these demands and support the mum-to-be, as well as preparing her for labour and delivery. Osteopathy uses a variety of gentle techniques which are safe for both mum and baby and can be used throughout the course of your pregnancy.
After your baby is born, we can also help with your recovery from the stress of labour and delivery, as well as the aches and pains of the physical demands of having a new baby, ie, awkward feeding positions, lifting car seats, reaching into cots and carrying babies.
Osteopathy for babies & children
Osteopathy is a non-invasive safe treatment for babies and children which can be used to treat a number common complaints
- Care after a traumatic birth (ie Ventouse delivery, speedy delivery, caesarian section)
- Sleeping issues, settling difficulties
- Reflux, Constipation
- Feeding problems (difficulty with latching, not feeding well on one side)
- Neck problems, including a preference for one side especially with sleeping & feeding
- Head molding / flat head
- Recurrent ear infections
- General knocks and falls of childhood
- General aches and pains (“Growing” pains)